Watch our video to learn how to engage your core and stabilize your spine while you move your arms. This is a very good way to limit back, shoulder and neck issues.
Hi, this is Dana Ranahan from Body Works Sports Physiotherapy and I want to show you a nice, simple exercise you can work on for core strengthening while your move your arms.
So I’m going to have you grab a mat, and come onto your back. We’ve done some work like this before in some of my other videos.
- Line up your hips, knees, and feet, so that your spine is neutral
- When you lie down you may need a pillow behind your head to keep it supported
- We’re going to get you working with your arms in a 90 degree position.
- Keep the shoulders are connected to the floor, not coming up off the ground.
- Before you do any movement, ensure that you are not braced in your chest and can actually breathe as your arms are there.
Now, the key with this is the same sequence we’ve done with the some of the other core exercises. We want you to breathe and soften your chest.
- As you move your arms into like a scissor motion. Breathe in, then breathe out.
- Soften the chest, switch arms.
- Only go as far as you can go while keeping control
- breathing in, breathe out, soften chest breathe in, come back down, breathe out. Alternate.
This is a great exercise for day to day activities.