Do you have tight shoulders or upper back? Watch here to learn a home exercise to release tight shoulders and upper back muscles using a foam roller. You will feel better and move better!
Hi this is Dana Ranahan from Body Works Sports Physiotherapy in North Vancouver. Today I’m here to show you a quick exercise to help release some tension through your shoulders and mid back.
Some of you you may be familiar with using a foam roller. This is a great tool to use, and today we’re going to show you a technique where we put the foam roller into our armpit area to loosen things up.
- Come down onto the mat, put the foam roller into your armpit as if you’re going to rest your head on your hand.
- This will put some pressure into the tight muscle in the back of the shoulder blades.
- This is a really nice pressure point to release tight shoulders
- Then we can do a little bit of rolling, just to help release tension in the back of the shoulder.
- Now you can roll back a little bit so it comes at the back of the shoulder blade to help loosen tension
- We can also roll forward, facing down and getting some opening through the PEC muscle or the chest muscle.
So there’s an exercise for you to try at home this weekend to release some tension through your shoulders from work this week.