Need some glut strengthening you can do at home now all of the gyms are closed? Give this simple exercise a try. If you don’t have an exercise ball, you can do it over a bench or on hands and knees position. Just make sure to maintain a neutral position of your spine while you lift your leg.
Hi, this is Dana Ranahan from Body Works Sports Physiotherapy in North Vancouver. We have a great exercise to help strengthen your gluts while you’re having to kill some time at home.
- Lie on your stomach over your exercise ball
- In this position we want you to find a stable position of your spine. So your spine stays neutral and your arms can be supporting you out front.
- We’re going to bring your knee into a bent position, assuming it doesn’t give you any back trouble to bend your knee.
- You’re going to think about lifting your heel straight up towards the ceiling as you lift your leg to be level. Really focus on keeping your spine neutral.
- Don’t forget to breathe as you do this, because sometimes we tend to hold our breath.
Repeat until you get fatigue. Aim for 8 to 10 repetitions to start, three sets.
Give that a try each side. This also works some of your core muscles to help stabilize on the ball.