Are you experiencing shoulder pain? Here is a simple exercise you can use to strengthen the rotator cuff muscle, which can help with shoulder pain.
Hi this is Dana Ranahan from Body Works Sports Physiotherapy. I’m here today to talk about rotator cuff pain, or shoulder pain. Often people get pain the in front of their shoulder, sometimes in the back of the shoulder. A lot of times this depends on where your shoulder is in space. We’re going to try get your rotator cuff stronger.
- Get a piece of Theraband or stretchy band and attach it to a doorknob or something at home
- Grab onto the band, being sure your shoulder is pulled back and set in space
- Work on bringing the band away from your belly button.
- Keep the elbow in line with the body, so you’re not getting any elbow movement
- Really work to keep the shoulder back, so that when you pull you don’t allow it to come forward.
In this case we work repetition to fatigue. Maybe you can make 8 to 10 repetitions before you get tired, take a short break, and then repeat about 3 sets.
Check out our other shoulder exercises here.