Hi, this is Dana Ranahan at Body Works Sports Physiotherapy in North Vancouver. I’m here today to show you a functional progression of our core exercise series.
In our previous videos we’ve shown you how to work on breathing diaphragmatically, activating your core muscles, and coordinating them together. Now we want to work on using that same sequence with a function exercise such as a squat. This is a core exercise that will help you become stronger for getting in and out of your chair, getting up and down the stairs, and general leg strength.
- So today, we have a ball that we’re using on the wall
- I want to set myself up in front of the ball so that my feet are level in front and the ball is in between my shoulder blades towards my waist area
- In this position I want to be sure that I’m in a good posture
- Now we’re going to work on the same mechanism while we’re thinking about breathing laterally into the rib cage
- As I breathe out, softening the chest, engaging my core muscles, and sinking down into a squat
- Breathing in, come back up.
This way we’re adding an inner core sequence where we think about breathing out, engaging the core, sinking down, and breathing in come back up. In this case you’d do repetitions till fatigue, maybe ten to fifteen repetitions and repeat two or three sets.
If you have any other questions give us a call at 604-983-6616 or check us online at body-works.ca