Do you need stronger legs and hips? Do you want to be able to ski or run longer with better endurance, form and less fatigue? Try our simple wall squat with band around the knees to help strengthen the quads and gluts, abs, and core.
Hi this is Dana Ranahan from Body Works Sports Physiotherapy and today I want to show you a great strengthening exercise you can do at home. This will help you in all kinds of ways. Skiing, hiking, running etc.
Grab yourself a Thera-band or a stretchy band. We have these ones in the clinic that are pre cut so they’re all one piece. Alternately, you can get some and tie a knot to the right width. You want it to be about leg width apart when you’re standing evenly on your feet.
Wall Squat with Band
- We’re going to put this band up on our knee, just above the knee joint
- In this position come to the wall, bringing your feet way out so that your weight can be back against the wall
- Do a bit of a squat, really working to keep your big toes on the ground and knees in line over top of your feet. Your kneecap should centre over your second toe.
- In this position, think about keeping your hips connected to the wall
This is a simple wall squat you can maintain.
Progression for Gluts
- For a bit of extra work for our glutes, we can work on a pull out here with the band.
- So try to maintain your wall squat, making space between the knees, and you’ll feel it working in your glutes quite heavily.
- Breathe out, core on, breathe in, come back, breathe out, core on, breathe in, come back.
Work 10 to 15 repetitions here, remembering to breathe and engage your core as you do it,
So give that a go at home. That’ll help you strengthen up your hips and legs for skiing, or any activities you want to do. If you have any other questions, give us a call or check out our website at body-works.ca