Skip to content
Help Prevent the Spread of COVID-19: How to Use A Mask
- Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds before touching the mask. If you don’t have soap and water, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Inspect the mask to ensure it’s not damaged.
- Turn the mask so that the coloured side is facing outward.
- Put the mask over your face and if there isa metallic strip, press it to fit the bridge of your nose.
- Put the loops around each of your ears, or tie the top and bottom straps.
- Make sure your mouth and nose are covered and that there are no gaps. Expand the mask by pulling the bottom of it under your chin.
- If there is a strip: press the metallic strip again so it moulds to the shape of your nose and wash your hands again.
- Don’t touch the mask while you’re wearing it. If you do, wash your hands.
- Don’t wear the mask if it gets wet or dirty. Don’t reuse the mask (unless it is a fabric mask that can be washed and properly sanitized). Follow the correct procedure for removing the mask.
Removing the Mask:
- Wash your hands with soap and water or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Lean forward to remove your mask. Touch only the ear loops or ties, not the front of the mask.
- Dispose of the mask safely if it is a non-reusable mask.
- Wash your hands. If required, follow this procedure again to put on a new mask.